Sunday, January 24, 2010

Can You Brew It? - Stone Levitation

Jamil and the gang at The Brewing Network did Stone Brewery's Levitation Ale...they called it cloned and shared the recipe. I've been looking for a tasty session beer and this sounds like a good candidate!

It's a low gravity (1048 OG) but still full-flavored ale with a good hop character.

Recipe after the break

Stone Brewing - Levitation Ale Clone
OG: 1048                     SRM: 18.3                              Mash: 157 F
IBUs: 50-60                 Volume: 6 Gallons                  Boil: 90 min

Malt:
80% Bitish Pale Malt (4.25 K/9.375 lbs)
10% Crystal 75 (0.5 K/1.1lb)
5%   Crystal 150 (0.25 K/.55lb)
0.5% Black Patent (20g/0.6 oz)

Hops:
14g/0.5oz Columbus - 90 min
29g/1.02oz Amarillo - 30 mins
33g/1.16oz Crystal - 20 mins
11g/.39oz Simcoe - 20 mins
42g/1.5oz Amarillo - Dry Hop

Fermentation:
WLP007 - Dry English Ale
67 F Fermentation temp
65 F Dry Hop Temp
Diacytl Rest

5 comments:

  1. I can't find Columbus or Crystal hops. Substitution suggestions? Tomahawk for the Columbus?
    I need to relisten to the show to get the extract conversion, which comes about 15 min. from the end of the episode.
    Am I still going to need to do a 90 min. boil if I'm doing extract?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 90 minute boil will still be good for extract. The purpose of the longer boil is to get better isomerization of the hops and a longer time to drive off some of the unwanted compounds.

    As for the hops, if you need to substitute.. usually there is a sub chart at your local shop... otherwise, look for similar flavor and AA% for your substitutions. Or look online at Norther Brewer, B3 or your personal favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think NikoBrew has Tomahawk. I'll probably end up getting my malts from B3 and the hops from Niko.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered everything I need. NB had all the hops, but I had to go through B3 for the grains (and got taken on the shipping from them).
    Check your numbers on the black patent. I think you mean ounces, not pounds.
    Also, for an extract version just substitute 55% of the pale malt (I'm going with 5.15 lbs of pale DME).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the extract info Eric.
    The Black Patent info is corrected. You should be using just a tiny pinch.

    ReplyDelete