Sunday, January 5, 2014

Petit Grepon 2013 First tasting

Today I added 1oz of French Medium+ oak cubes to each carboy of my Petit Grepon Flanders Red.

I also siphoned off samples from each carboy using a steam sterilized turkey baster.

First impressions:

Neither beer has developed much of any pellicle. There was a slight white scum on top of the Roselaire carboy and a clear film on the White Labs carboy.

The White Labs Blend has little to no aroma and is developing a slight sour bite. Interestingly, the predominant flavor I'm getting at this point is a sense of bitter/hops.

The Wyeast Roselaire is developing the nice cherry pie aroma and flavor I've been enjoying in commercial Flanders Reds.

I'll probably not taste these again until after the summer. Time to let them sit and forget about them and let the bugs work their magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment